The idea of governance is central to the experience of living in a society.Our surroundings which include natural and man-made factors affect our wellbeing and impact our lives. Good governance is about continuous management of these elements in our surrounding to offer good quality of life for all. Layman often associates issues of governance with politicians and bureaucrats only and individual responsibility of citizens is often not taken into consideration. However, the polity is shifting from representative democracy to a participative democracy. This shift means greater opportunities for the common man to participate in matters concerning individual and society at large.
In the urban areas the immediate surroundings of a person is the city, therefore good governance would mean better administration of the city through people’s participation. Janwani approaches governance issues in a holistic manner adopting bottom-up approach. We believe that people’s participation in governing cities is of utmost importance as they are the ultimate beneficiaries of the development process. However, for people to participate in a meaningful way they have to be well-informed and knowledgeable about the processes involved in governance. Thus information generation, dissemination and simplification are central to our approach. Simultaneously different stakeholders should come together on common platform for sharing of ideas and mobilization of available resources. When general public is organized and empowered to engage in governing their city they act as a pressure group for policy changes.
In order to achieve our goals, the governance focus area undertakes projects that can be classified into three groups:
- Urban Finance: The projects under this category mainly relate to analyzing budgets and simplifying them in common man’s language. We are also involved in assessing and monitoring of budgets in Pune.
- Urban Inclusion: The projects under this category are seen through the lens of inclusion. Budget documents are analysed through different lens like gender responsive lens, child development perspective and backward class development perspective.
- Strengthening service delivery mechanisms: The projects under this category are focused at improving the service delivery mechanisms by the government by creating necessary feedback and monitoring mechanisms.
- Area Sabha Bill
- Interactive session on “Participatory & Accountable Public Finance”
- PMC Participatory Budgeting
- PCMC Participatory Budgeting
- PMC Budget Analysis and Simplification
- Ward briefs
- Women Friendly Pune Handbook Edition I and II
- Paper on improving living conditions of children in slums of Pune
- PMC Budget Excel Sheets
- PCMC Budget Simplification and Analysis